Musa, the son of `Imran, peace be upon him, whom Allah spoke to directly, (perhaps they may reflect.) and avoid Bal`am's behavior, for Allah has given the Jews knowledge and made them superior to the bedouins surrounding them. He gave them the description of Muhammad which would allow them to recognize him, as they recognize their own children. They, among people, have the most right to follow, aid and support Muhammad , in obedience to their Prophets who informed them of him and commanded them to follow him. Therefore, whoever among them defies the knowledge in their Books or hides it from the servants, Allah will place disgrace on him in this life, followed by humiliation in the Hereafter.
Story Bal`am bin Ba`ura
Observe these two tafsir fragments which mention certain followers being made superior.
(55. And (remember) when Allah said: "O `Isa! I will take you and raise you to Myself and purify ﴿save﴾ you from those who disbelieve, and I will make those who follow you superior to those who disbelieve till the Day of Resurrection. Then you will return to Me and I will judge between you in the matters in which you used to dispute.'' (56. "As to those who disbelieve, I will punish them with severe torment in this world and in the Hereafter, and they will have no helpers.'') (57. And as for those who believe and do righteous good deeds, Allah will pay them their reward in full. And Allah does not like the wrongdoers.) The Jews Plot to Kill `Isa
(And I will make those who follow you superior to those who disbelieve till the Day of Resurrection. Then you will return to Me and I will judge between you in the matters in which you used to dispute. As to those who disbelieve, I will punish them with a severe torment in this world and in the Hereafter, and they will have no helpers.)
This is what Allah did to the Jews who disbelieved in `Isa and the Christians who went to the extreme over him. Allah tormented them in this life; they were killed, captured, and lost their wealth and kingdoms. Their torment in the Hereafter is even worse and more severe, (And they have no Waq (defender or protector) against Allah) ﴿13:34﴾. (And as for those who believe and do righteous good deeds, Allah will pay them their reward in full) in this life, with victory and domination, and in the Hereafter, with Paradise and high grades, Threatening the Disbelievers with Torment in This Life and the Hereafter
In 3:55, Allah tells Jesus that his followers will be made superior to disbelievers. Both of these tafsir share that expression. Pay close attention to the last two sentences of Threatening the Disbelievers.
- Who are the "true followers" of Jesus?
- What happened to the disbelievers?
- Who did it to them?
- What reward did Allah give the Muslims in this life?
- ...Allah brought them down from their forts and cast terror into their hearts, (so that) a group (of them) you killed, and a group (of them) you made captives.
- ...He caused you to inherit their lands, and their houses, and their riches, and a land which you had not trodden...
3:139. So do not become weak (against your enemy), nor be sad, and you will be superior (in victory) if you are indeed (true) believers.[ The Wisdom Behind the Losses Muslims Suffered During Uhud]Now that we have seen the spring from which Islamic supremacism flows, let us examine its consequences. The consequence of Islamic supremacism is that Kuffar are killed, lose their wealth, families, lands and kingdoms. Conquest and everything it carries with it is a consequence of supremacism & triumphalism.
Loss of liberty is one of those consequences. Conquered atheists & pagans are killed or enslaved; "people of the book" are subjugated and extorted. Because Allah is sovereign, he alone has the right to rule, which he delegated to Moe and his Caliphs. Examine the Introduction of Book 20 of Sahih Muslim. I have picked out a few references to the Qur'an.
- 12:40. "You do not worship besides Him but only names which you have named (forged), you and your fathers, for which Allah has sent down no authority. The command (or the judgement) is for none but Allah. He has commanded that you worship none but Him (i.e. His Monotheism), that is the (true) straight religion, but most men know not.
- 7:3. [Say (O Muhammad ) to these idolaters (pagan Arabs) of your folk:] Follow what has been sent down unto you from your Lord (the Qur'an and Prophet Muhammad's Sunnah), and follow not any Auliya' (protectors and helpers, etc. who order you to associate partners in worship with Allah), besides Him (Allah). Little do you remember!
- 5:44. Verily, We did send down the Taurat (Torah) [to Musa (Moses)], therein was guidance and light, by which the Prophets, who submitted themselves to Allah's Will, judged the Jews. And the rabbis and the priests [too judged the Jews by the Taurat (Torah) after those Prophets] for to them was entrusted the protection of Allah's Book, and they were witnesses thereto. Therefore fear not men but fear Me (O Jews) and sell not My Verses for a miserable price. And whosoever does not judge by what Allah has revealed, such are the Kafirun (i.e. disbelievers - of a lesser degree as they do not act on Allah's Laws ).
- 24:55. Allah has promised those among you who believe, and do righteous good deeds, that He will certainly grant them succession to (the present rulers) in the earth, as He granted it to those before them, and that He will grant them the authority to practise their religion, that which He has chosen for them (i.e. Islam). And He will surely give them in exchange a safe security after their fear (provided) they (believers) worship Me and do not associate anything (in worship) with Me. But whoever disbelieved after this, they are the Fasiqun (rebellious, disobedient to Allah).
- 33:36. It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allah and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger, he has indeed strayed in a plain error.
Previous installments in this series: