The Revised Draft has stricken some words and phrases from the first draaft, but relies on the old boilerplate.
Optimists will assert that there is a positive trend in the votes. After charting the votes, I find little cause for optimism.
The no votes have come at the expense of abstentions, not yes votes. Since the members are elected by regional blocks, there is little chance of reducing the OIC representation on the council.
The current resolution, like its predecessors, consists of itemized lists of boilerplate references to previous documents interspersed with emotive catchwords designed to inculcate guilt in the innocent.
If you want to read four pages of polemical crap, be my guest, I provided links to it. I will present here only the most important segments of the screed which was submitted by Pakistan on behalf of the OIC.
Recognizing the valuable contribution of all religions to modern civilization and the contribution that dialogue among civilizations can make towards improved awareness and understanding of the common values shared by all humankind,What the Hell has Islam contributed to civilization other than the legacy of genocidal conquest? Men conquered and enslaved by Muslims translated ancient manuscripts, preserving Greek and Asian mathematics and science during the Dark Ages, preserving but not creating the foundation of the enlightenment.
Noting with deep concern the instances of intolerance, discrimination and acts of violence against followers of certain faiths occurring in many parts of the world, including cases motivated by Islamophobia, anti-Semitism and Christianophobia, in addition to the negative projection of certain religions in the media and the introduction and enforcement of laws and administrative measures that specifically discriminate against and target persons with certain ethnic and religious backgrounds, particularly Muslim minorities following the events of l l September 2001 , and that threaten to impede their full enjoyment of human rights and fundamental freedoms,Note how careful they are to universalize the concept of defamation by including anti-Semitism & Christianophobia, which they later negate by emphasizing the supposed effects on Muslims. Who, other than Islamic texts and sermons, is negatively projecting Judaism & Christianity?
Stressing that defamation of religions is a serious affront to human dignity leading to a restriction on the freedom of religion of their adherents and incitement to religious hatred and violence,"Defamation of religions" is a nebulous and undefined term without intrinsic meaning. It derives meaning only from the specific examples frequently cited, particularly Fitna and the Motoons. In civil defamation. truth is a defense. Fitna is true, how can it be defamatory?
Human dignity is affronted by adherence to immoral and fallacious beliefs and doctrines which sanctify and mandate genocidal conquest, not by exposing those doctrines. How the Hell is there human dignity in Islam, which venerates the barbarian warlord who made the statements in this traditional saying?
Sahih Bukhari Volume 1, Book 8, Number 387:Our blood and property are not sacred to Muslims and we have no rights; so much for human dignity!!! What is incitement to violence if not Surah al-Anfal & at-Taubah in the Qur'an?
Narrated Anas bin Malik:
Allah's Apostle said, "I have been ordered to fight the people till they say: 'None has the right to be worshipped but Allah.' And if they say so, pray like our prayers, face our Qibla and slaughter as we slaughter, then their blood and property will be sacred to us and we will not interfere with them except legally and their reckoning will be with Allah." Narrated Maimun ibn Siyah that he asked Anas bin Malik, "O Abu Hamza! What makes the life and property of a person sacred?" He replied, "Whoever says, 'None has the right to be worshipped but Allah', faces our Qibla during the prayers, prays like us and eats our slaughtered animal, then he is a Muslim, and has got the same rights and obligations as other Muslims have."
Noting with concern that defamation of religions and incitement to religious hatred in general could lead to social disharmony and violations of human rights, and alarmed at the inaction of some States to combat this burgeoning trend and the resulting discriminatory practices against adherents of certain religions and, in this context, stressing the need to effectively combat defamation of all religions and incitement to religious hatred in general and against Islam and Muslims in particular,So they are concerned with defamaition and incitement. Have they read the Qur'an?
98:6. Verily, those who disbelieve (in the religion of Islâm, the Qur'ân and Prophet Muhammad from among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) and Al-Mushrikûn will abide in the Fire of Hell. They are the worst of creatures.If their concern about defamation & incitement were sincere, they'd start with their own scripture instead of trying to criminalize exposure of their doctrines and practices.
9:29. Fight against those who (1) believe not in Allâh, (2) nor in the Last Day, (3) nor forbid that which has been forbidden by Allâh and His Messenger (4) and those who acknowledge not the religion of truth (i.e. Islâm) among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), until they pay the Jizyah with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.
2. Expresses deep concern at the negative stereotyping and defamation of religions and manifestations of intolerance and discrimination in matters of religion or belief still evident in the world, which have led to intolerance against the followers of thesePresident Obama prefers "negative stereotyping" to "defamation". I'd enjoy hearing him explain the difference. The OIC used both expressions in one sentence.
4. Expresses deep concern at the continued serious instances of deliberate stereotyping of religions, their adherents and sacred persons in the media, as well as programmes and agendas pursued by extremist organizations and groups aimed at creating and perpetuating stereotypes about certain religions, in particular when condoned by Governments;This is an obvious veiled reference to certain European political parties that oppose Islamization of Europe.
5. Notes with deep concern the intensification of` the overall campaign of defamation of religions and incitement to religious hatred in general, including the ethnic and religious profiling of Muslim minorities in the aftermath of the tragic events of llWere the Magnificent Nineteen Jews? Mormons? What were they? How about the perpetrators of the London, Madrid and Bali bombings? And the numerous hijackers; were they Lutherans? They were young Muslim males, but we shouldn't be suspicious of young Muslim males, should we?
7. Expresses deep concern in this respect that Islam is frequently and wrongly associated with human rights violations and terrorism and, in this regard, regrets the laws or administrative measures specifically designed to control and monitor Muslim minorities, thereby stigmatizing them and legitimizing the discrimination they experience,Earlier I quoted Moe, who said that our blood and property are not sacred to Muslims and his companion who added that we have no rights until we become Muslims. If that ain't a human rights violation, what is? Waging war against people who simply maintain their own religious beliefs in the face of your demand to convert violates the rights to life and freedom of conscience in the most profound way.
What the Hell is wrong about the association of Islam and terrorism???
3:151. We shall cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve, because they joined others in worship with Allâh, for which He had sent no authority; their abode will be the Fire and how evil is the abode of the Zâlimûn (polytheists and wrongdoers).Wrongly associated with terrorism? Yeah, right.
8:12. (Remember) when your Lord inspired the angels, "Verily, I am with you, so keep firm those who have believed. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who have disbelieved, so strike them over the necks, and smite over all their fingers and toes."
33:26. And those of the people of the Scripture who backed them (the disbelievers) Allâh brought them down from their forts and cast terror into their hearts, (so that) a group (of them) you killed, and a group (of them) you made captives.
33:27. And He caused you to inherit their lands, and their houses, and their riches, and a land which you had not trodden (before). And Allâh is Able to do all things.
Sahih Bukhari Volume 4, Book 52, Number 220:
Narrated Abu Huraira:
Allah's Apostle said, "I have been sent with the shortest expressions bearing the widest meanings, and I have been made victorious with terror (cast in the hearts of the enemy), and while I was sleeping, the keys of the treasures of the world were brought to me and put in my hand." Abu Huraira added: Allah's Apostle has left the world and now you, people, are bringing out those treasures (i.e. the Prophet did not benefit by them).
8. Strongly condemns in this regard the ban on the construction of minarets of mosques and other recent discriminatory measures, which are manifestations of Islamophobia that stand in sharp contradiction to international human rights obligations: Help me out with this; banning minarets in Switzerland threatens social cohesion and may lead to violence but prohibiting the construction and maintenance of churches in Saudi Arabia and Egypt is perfectly harmless. What twists of illogic will they take to explain that away?
concerning freedoms of religion, belief, conscience and expression, and stresses that such discriminatory measures would fuel discrimination, extremism and misperception leading to polarization and fragmentation with dangerous unintended and unforeseen consequences;
9. Reaffirms the commitment of all States to the implementation, in an integrated manner, of the United Nations Global Counter-terrorism Strategy, adopted without a vote by the General Assembly in its resolution 60/288 of 8 September 2006 andLike its predecessors, this resolution is redundant, as if repetition converts fallacy into truth.
reaffirmed by the Assembly in its resolution 62/272 of 5 September 2008, and in which it clearly reaffirms, inter alia, that terrorism cannot and should not be associated with any religion, nationality, civilization or group, as well as the need to reinforce the commitment of the international community to promote, among other things, a culture of peace and respect for all religions, belief`s, and cultures and to prevent the defamation of religions;
10. Deplores the use of the print, audio-visual and electronic media, including the Internet, and any other means to incite acts of violence, xenophobia or related intolerance and discrimination against any religion, as well as the targeting of religiousWho does that? Various terrorist groups have web sites that glorify and incite acts of terrorism, most recently Adam Gadahn uploaded a video in which he urged Muslims to terrorize America. Do they really deplore that, or is it only Fitna and blog posts which expose Islamic doctrines that they deplore?
symbols and venerated persons;
11. Emphasizes that, as stipulated in international human rights law, including articles 19 and 29 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and articles 19 and 20 of the international Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, everyone has the right to hold opinions without interference and the right to freedom of expression, the exercise of which carries with it special duties and responsibilities and may therefore be subject to limitations only as provided for by law and are necessary for respect of the rights or reputations of others, protection of national security or of public order, public health or morals and general welfare;They are trying to set up a legal basis for restricting our right of free expression. Truthfully describing the doctrines and practices of Islam and its founder is not akin to shouting fire in a crowded venue. Nor is it defamatory. Linking the violent acts of Muslim mobs with Allah's imperatives to genocidal conquest is not defamation, it is truth. Truthful political speech, even if it offends those whose peccadillos are exposed, must be protected by law, as it is by our First Amendment, in order to preserve liberty. Islam is a predator which seeks complete domination of the world. If we can not expose that fact, we can not defend ourselves. It is Islam's intention to render us defenseless in the war of ideas.
12. Reaffirms that general comment No. 15 of the Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, in which the Committee stipulated that the prohibition of the dissemination of all ideas based upon racial superiority or hatred is compatible with freedom of opinion and expression, is equally applicable to the question of incitement to religious hatred;Race, religion and culture are not equivalent concepts. Opposition to Islamic conquest is not racism. Wanting to maintain our own culture is not racism nor is it evil.
3:110. You [true believers in Islâmic Monotheism, and real followers of Prophet Muhammad and his Sunnah (legal ways, etc.)] are the best of peoples ever raised up for mankind; you enjoin Al-Ma'rûf (i.e. Islâmic Monotheism and all that Islâm has ordained) and forbid Al-Munkar (polytheism, disbelief and all that Islâm has forbidden), and you believe in Allâh. And had the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) believed, it would have been better for them; among them are some who have faith, but most of them are Al-Fâsiqûn (disobedient to Allâh - and rebellious against Allâh's Command).Got a clue yet?
Sahih Bukhari Volume 6, Book 60, Number 80:Narrated Abu Huraira:Sahih Bukhari Volume 9, Book 89, Number 256:
The Verse:--"You (true Muslims) are the best of peoples ever raised up for mankind." means, the best of peoples for the people, as you bring them with chains on their necks till they embrace Islam.
Narrated Anas bin Malik:
Allah's Apostle said, "You should listen to and obey, your ruler even if he was an Ethiopian (black) slave whose head looks like a raisin."
13. Strongly condemns all manifestations and acts of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance against national or ethnic, religious and linguistic minorities and migrants and the stereotypes often applied to them, including onThey are demanding that laws be passed and enforced to punish us for exposing Islam's doctrines & practices to public view.
the basis of religion or belief and urges all States to apply and, where required, reinforce existing laws when such xenophobic or intolerant acts, manifestations or expressions occur, in order to deny impunity tor those who commit such acts;
14. Urges all States to provide, within their respective legal and constitutional systems, adequate protection against acts of hatred, discrimination, intimidation and coercion resulting from defamation of religions and incitement to religious hatred in general, and to take all possible measures to promote tolerance and respect for all religions and beliefs;Re-read the clauses I emphasized in ¶14. How in Hell can any sentient and informed person tolerate and respect Islam?? It is not possible for a rational and moral person to tolerate and respect a system of perpetual war! Tolerance and respect must be reciprocal.
3:85. And whoever seeks a religion other than Islâm, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers.What did Allah command Moe to do? What did he say about the sanctity of our blood and property? Got a clue yet?
16. Calls upon all States to make the utmost effort, in accordance with theirHow do you define symbols? Stretched far enough, that concept covers Islam's scripture and founder. Remember how they rioted over depiction of Moe in those cartoons? We are supposed to respect a man who, at 52, married a six year old girl; a man who had an elderly poet torn apart by camels?
national legislation and in conformity with international human rights and humanitarian
law, to ensure that religious places, sites, shrines and symbols are fully respected and
protected, and to take additional measures in cases where they are vulnerable to desecration
19. Takes note with appreciation the intention of the High Commissioner to provide further support for the progressive development of international human rights law in respect of freedom of expression and incitement to hatred, discrimination and violence.If you think that paragraph is innocuous, then take a good close look at Fitna and at what the Secretary General said about it.
The only incitement in Fitna comes from Allah and his slaves, not from Geert Wilders.
“There is no justification for hate speech or incitement to violence,” Ban said in a statement. “The right of free expression is not at stake here.”
External documents referenced in the resolution:
- resolution 60/1 of 16 September 2005 (World Summit Outcome Res.A/RES/60/1 )
- United Nations Millennium Declaration, adopted by the General Assembly on 8 September 20001
- Durban Declaration and Programme of Action (ACONF.189/12) ???
- World Conference against Racism, Racial Discrimination, Xenophobia and Related Intolerance, held in Durban, South Africa, in 20012
- Outcome Document of the Durban Review Conference, held in Geneva in April 2009,3
- l GA Resolution 55/2
- resolution 10/22 of 26 March 2009
- General Assembly resolution 64/156 of 18 December 2009
- report of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights on
possible correlation between defamation of religions and the upsurge in incitement,
intolerance and hatred in many parts of the world (A/HRC/13/57)
- report of the Special Rapporteur on contemporary forms of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and
related intolerance (A/HRC/12/38)
- General Assembly in its resolution 60/288 of 8 September 20064
- resolution 62/272 of 5 September 2008
- general comment No. 15 of the Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination5
- 4 Resolution 60/288
5 Official Records of the General Assembly, Forty-eighth Session, Supplement No. 18 (A/48/18), chap. VIII, sect, B.
- article 20 of the ICCPR
- the intention of the High Commissioner to provide further support for the progressive development of international human rights law in respect of freedom of expression and incitement to hatred, discrimination and violence6,
- 6 High Commissioner's Strategic Management Plan 2010-2011
7 High Commissioner's Strategic Management Plan 2010-2011