For background information about the meetings, see this Reuters article of 11/06/08.
The statement includes an enumerated list of fifteen points which present a target rich environment In this installment, I'll take on the eighth point of agreement.[Links & emphasis added.]
8. We affirm that no religion and its followers should be excluded from society. Each should be able to make its indispensable contribution to the good of society, especially in service to the most needy.Taken at face value, points 8 & 9 mean that the Muslims participating in the meeting accept the concept of multiculturalism. By so doing, they would sever themselves from Allah and become apostates.
9. We recognize that God's creation in its plurality of cultures, civilizations, languages and peoples is a source of richness and should therefore never become a cause of tension and conflict.
Allah said, "whoever seeks a religion other than Islam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers.".[3:85] Allah said, "Truly, the religion with Allah is Islam". On his deathbed, Moe said "Expel the pagans from the Arabian Peninsula". [Bukhari 4.52.288] Caliph Umar subsequently expelled the Jews. [Bukhari 3.39.531]
As if that was insufficient proof of intolerance, we have Allah's commands to fight until only Allah is worshiped and Jews & Christians are subjugated and extorted. In three ayat, Allah declares that Islam must be made to dominate other religions: "to make it superior over all religions", "that He may make it (Islam) superior over all religions", "to make it victorious over all (other) religions".
The right to believe and practice as you choose is obviated by Allah's commands to fight disbelievers. Once Jews & Christians are conquered, subjugated & extorted, Islamic law specifies certain regulations. I quote from Reliance of the Traveller, Book O.
- are distinguished from Muslims in dress, wearing a wide cloth belt (zunnar);
- are not greeted with "as-Salamu 'alaykum";
- must keep to the side of the street
- may not build higher than or as high as the Muslims' buildings, though if they acquire a tall house, it is not razed;
- are forbidden to openly display wine or pork, (A: to ring church bells or display crosses,) recite the Torah or Evangel aloud, or make public display of their funerals and feastdays;
- and are forbidden to build new churches
Either the Muslim participants in the forum are contradicting Allah & his Messenger and abandoning Islam or their affirmation multiculturalism is insincere. Which is it?
Click this link for A Common Word between Us and You, which precipitated the recent meetings. [Note the Events section, a recent addition to the page]. A Common Word's home page includes a summary, the missive, media reports, blog posts and various responses from Christian & Jewish leaders. Click this link: Islamic Extortion Letter for my original dissection of the missive or this link: Go Burn With Muhammad, a blog devoted to dissecting the missive and reactions to it.