Herman Cain waffled, hit a foul ball and struck out. The most recent event being a summit meeting with Muslims at a mosque in Virginia. The subsequent statement by Cain cost him any hope of gaining my support for his candidacy. Thanks and a tip of the hat to Weasel Zippers.
What is wrong with that? First, kissing Islam's ass. Presidents need courage, they can not afford to be in fear of anyone. Humility & contrition are not Presidential characteristics. Anyone who rejects imposition or insinuation of Shari'ah must not apologize for it if he hopes to have my respect. Second, but of greater importance: the supposed 'right to practice' Islam "freely and peacefully". Only an ignorant damned fool or a liar will utter that expression. There is no right to conquer. There is no right to pillage. There is no right to rape. There is no right to extort. There is no right to prey upon the human race. All of those wrongs are intrinsic to & inseverable from the foundational core of Islam. Who has "Muslim faith"? Who practices "Muslim faith"? Believers. What do believers do?
- 9:111. Verily, Allâh has purchased of the believers their lives and their properties; for the price that theirs shall be the Paradise. They fight in Allâh's Cause, so they kill (others) and are killed. It is a promise in truth which is binding on Him in the Taurât (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel) and the Qur'ân. And who is truer to his covenant than Allâh? Then rejoice in the bargain which you have concluded. That is the supreme success .
- Indeed God has purchased from the believers their lives and their possessions, that they expend it in obedience of Him — for example by striving in His way — so that theirs will be [the reward of] Paradise: they shall fight in the way of God and they shall kill and be killed (this sentence is independent and constitutes an explication of the [above-mentioned] ‘purchase’; a variant reading has the passive verb come first [sc. fa-yuqtalūna wa-yaqtulūn, ‘they shall be killed and shall kill’], meaning that some of them are killed while those who remain, fight on); that is a promise which is binding (both [wa‘dan, ‘promise’, and haqqan, ‘binding’] are verbal nouns, and are in the accusative on account of their omitted [implicit] verbs) upon Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur’ān; and who fulfils his covenant better than God?, that is, no one is better in fulfilling it. Rejoice then (there is a shift from the third [to second] person here) in this bargain of yours which you have made, for that, bargain, is the supreme triumph, the one that secures the ultimate goal. [Tafsir al-Jalalayn]
- 9:33. It is He Who has sent His Messenger (Muhammad ) with guidance and the religion of truth (Islâm), to make it superior over all religions even though the Mushrikûn (polytheists, pagans, idolaters, disbelievers in the Oneness of Allâh) hate (it).
- He it is Who has sent His Messenger, Muhammad (s), with the guidance and the religion of truth, that He may manifest it, make it prevail, over every religion, all the religions which oppose it, even though the disbelievers be averse, to this.[Tafsir Ibn Abbas]
- Sahih Bukhari Volume 1, Book 3, Number 125:
Narrated Abu Musa:
A man came to the Prophet and asked, "O Allah's Apostle! What kind of fighting is in Allah's cause? (I ask this), for some of us fight because of being enraged and angry and some for the sake of his pride and haughtiness." The Prophet raised his head (as the questioner was standing) and said, "He who fights so that Allah's Word (Islam) should be superior, then he fights in Allah's cause."
Waging war against disbelievers is a "religious obligation", fard al-kifaya, binding upon all eligible Muslims until a sufficient number have performed it. The obligation must be performed "in every year". That link is to a passage in Reliance of the Traveller; Islamic law. When you have read it, scroll up to O9.0 to read the legal definition of jihad, then scroll down to O9.8 to see how it is implemented. Islam is inseverable; Muslims can not pick and choose from the Qur'an, they must obey and perform all of it.
"Fight those who"..."until"...; ""I have been ordered to fight the people till they say: 'None has the right to be worshipped but Allah.' Nobody who asserts that can be performed "peacefully" will get my vote.