Those who apply adjectives such as 'radical' and 'extreme' to Islam and Muslims thereby put themselves in conflict with truth and do great harm to the cause of establishing peace and security.
'Radical Islam' presumes the existence of a mythical 'moderate'; benign and anodyne Islam which is personal and spiritual; neither political nor martial. That mythical Islam is contrasted with the real Islam, which is described as 'radical' or extreme' and presumed to comprise a trivial minority of Muslims.
Nothing could be further from objective factual reality. Islam is predatory, supremacist and aggressive. Frequent readers of this blog are familiar with the ayat which mandate and sanctify genocidal conquest which terrorizes its victims as a means of destroying their ability and will to offer effective resistance. For those who are unfamiliar with them, they are quoted and linked to source in "What's Wrong With Islam/Muslims?" and "What You Need to Know about Islam".
We are under attack by believers, not 'radicals' or 'extremists'. The Noble Qur'an, translated by Hilali & Khan, defines believers and their behavior.[Emphasis added.]
- 8:1. They ask you (O Muhammad ) about the spoils of war. Say: "The spoils are for Allâh and the Messenger." So fear Allâh and adjust all matters of difference among you, and obey Allâh and His Messenger (Muhammad ), if you are believers.
- 8:2. The believers are only those who, when Allâh is mentioned, feel a fear in their hearts and when His Verses (this Qur'ân) are recited unto them, they (i.e. the Verses) increase their Faith; and they put their trust in their Lord (Alone);
- 8:3. Who perform As-Salât (IqâmatasSalât) and spend out of that We have provided them.
- 8:4. It is they who are the believers in truth. For them are grades of dignity with their Lord, and Forgiveness and a generous provision (Paradise).
- 8:5. As your Lord caused you (O Muhammad ) to go out from your home with the truth, and verily, a party among the believers disliked it;
Believers "spend" from Allah's provision. What is the meaning of that expression? Does it refer to charity or something else?
- 2:195. And spend in the Cause of Allâh (i.e. Jihâd of all kinds, etc.) and do not throw yourselves into destruction (by not spending your wealth in the Cause of Allâh), and do good. Truly, Allâh loves Al-Muhsinûn (the good-doers).
"Go out from your home" also requires clarification. This quote comes from Malik's Muwatta, Book 21.5.14:
Malik was asked about a man who pledged himself to go on a military campaign, equipped himself,and when he wanted to go out, one or both of his parents prevented him." Another verse uses the same term.
- 9:83. If Allâh brings you back to a party of them (the hypocrites), and they ask your permission to go out (to fight), say: "Never shall you go out with me, nor fight an enemy with me; you agreed to sit inactive on the first occasion, then you sit (now) with those who lag behind."
- 49:15. Only those are the believers who have believed in Allâh and His Messenger, and afterward doubt not but strive with their wealth and their lives for the Cause of Allâh. Those! They are the truthful.
- 9:41. March forth, whether you are light (being healthy, young and wealthy) or heavy (being ill, old and poor), strive hard with your wealth and your lives in the Cause of Allâh. This is better for you, if you but knew.
- 9:33. It is He Who has sent His Messenger (Muhammad ) with guidance and the religion of truth (Islâm), to make it superior over all religions even though the Mushrikûn (polytheists, pagans, idolaters, disbelievers in the Oneness of Allâh) hate (it).
- Sahih Bukhari Volume 4, Book 52, Number 65:
Narrated Abu Musa:
A man came to the Prophet and asked, "A man fights for war booty; another fights for fame and a third fights for showing off; which of them fights in Allah's Cause?" The Prophet said, "He who fights that Allah's Word (i.e. Islam) should be superior, fights in Allah's Cause."
Lives, liberties and civilization are at risk so long as a substantial number of people believe that they have a divine mandate to conquer the entire world. With modern weaponry, a small number of zealots can wreak great havoc.
We must cause them to quit believing or quit living. Otherwise, they will persist in threatening and attacking us.